Your Chip Card is simple to use, accepted globally and now in the U.S.
Whether using your Chip Card here in the U.S. or while traveling abroad, we want you to know how it works and be ready to use a chip terminal when making purchases. It's a smart card that's already standard around the world.
Chip Technology is now a built–in feature from Citi and there's nothing you need to do differently in order to start using your Chip Card. If you do not currently have a Chip, it may be added to your existing card at no cost. Your card will retain all of its features and benefits including the same account number. Upgrade Now!
Don't have a Citi Card with Chip? Most of our cards now have a Chip. Click here to find the right card for you.
- The security Chip Technology provides has been used globally for the last decade and is proven to reduce counterfeit fraud.
- Chip Cards provide better fraud protection than traditional cards when used at a chip enabled terminal. They have an embedded microchip that turns cardmember information into a unique code, making it difficult to duplicate.
Easy and Convenient
Chip Technology is available in the U.S. and Citi wants you to be ready. Simply follow the terminal prompts, outlined below, to make a transaction at a chip terminal:
- Insert your credit card into the chip terminal and press the green
button to accept the amount (no PIN required).
- Be sure to leave your card in the terminal and wait for
authorization before removing your card.
- Sign the receipt, and off you go.
- If a merchant does not yet have a chip terminal, just swipe as
usual since your card still has a magnetic stripe.
- For phone and online transactions, just complete your
transaction as usual.
- Worldwide Acceptance. Travel with
ease and enjoy global acceptance with
your Chip Card.
- Now in the U.S. Credit Card Issuers &
Merchants in the U.S. are transitioning
to Chip Technology that is in use around
See How Chip Technology Works
Using Your Chip Card
It's simple, but a little different to use.
This quick video gets you up to speed fast.
Credit Cards/ Chip Technology
Helpful "EMV Chip Tip" Videos for International Travelers
Chip Technology is the global standard. Watch these short videos to help you prepare for travel abroad with your Chip Card.
At a Restaurant
Safer to use since your credit card never leaves
your possession. The chip terminal is
brought to you for transactions.
Off the Beaten Path
There's no PIN needed. Just sign
Shopping in Town
Your Chip Card is simple, easy and convenient.
In the Train Station
Travel abroad with ease using Chip Technology.